DuBose Web Employee Spotlight | Developer - TJ Draper
Next up in our employee spotlight series is Developer TJ Draper! Get to know TJ here, including what a day in his life looks like, what he’s currently working on that’s super cool, what music keeps him focused and more!
What do you do at DuBose Web?
When did you start working here?
Ok, that’s your title and job responsibilities, but walk me through a work day in your life!
- Generally, I get up at about 7:30 to 8:00 a.m., shower, get breakfast, and try to be at my desk by 9:00.
- Then, I usually check in on some social media, email, etc.
- Then, if there are tickets or smaller items that need my attention, I work on those. If not, I work on bigger ticket items until around lunch time when I try to take a walk if it’s not raining or a frozen wasteland outside (my kids and/or sometimes my wife will join me for a walk) then eat a light, healthy lunch. If I have something going on in the evening that precludes going to the gym, I may try to go running on the treadmill at the gym over lunch instead of going on a walk.
- Then I get back to work on whatever the big ticket items of the day/week are.
- I work until about 5:30, maybe 6:00 depending on what I’m working on. If I’m about to start a new thing that requires my brain to be engaged fully for a while, I may break off a little earlier.
- Then If I’m not meeting a friend for supper, or don’t have anything else going on, I try to get to the gym before supper
- I have supper with my family
- Then, for better or worse, I have many other, non-DuBose development irons in the fire I try to tend to for an hour or three.
- Then, I watch TV for an hour, maybe two.
- Then, I go to bed and do it all over again (though occasionally if I haven’t been able to get to the gym during lunch or before supper, I’ll go to the gym before bed)
Do you have any systems or habits in place that help you with productivity?
- Limit social media time
- Listening to film scores that (usually) don’t have words
- Listening to symphonic metal/rock, which I love (yes, I know I have odd music tastes)
- At a certain point in the day, or for certain tasks, just ignore email and Slack, except in case of emergency and focus
What does your desk look like? Cluttered? Tidy? Organized chaos?
I want it to be tidy and organized, but it tends to build up clutter until every couple of weeks when I have a fit of rage and throw it all off the desk. Well, usually I just file papers, put things away that are annoying me and/or that I’m not using.
So it goes from tidy with just a couple of items on it, to a little too cluttered, then back again
What have you learned while working at DuBose Web?
That’s hard to quantify. All of being a software developer is always learning and growing and figuring out what works and what doesn’t. Since I straddle the development world and the dev-ops world, I’ve actually learned a lot about dev-ops on a small scale I guess. That’s in addition to all the little details and things I learn all day working on software
What is the coolest thing you have worked on lately?
Whenever I’m not working directly on client projects, I’m working on new deployment processes with server container technology called Docker. Coupled with a new integrated tool for monitoring websites and scripting deployments. I’m super excited about it, but it’s taking some time to get done :(
When you’re not working, how do you like to spend your time?
- Date night with my wife
- Take one of my kids out for one-on-one time
- Meal with one of my few close friends
- Listening to sci-fi/fantasy audio books
- Watching TV or movies (usually sci-fi/fantasy)
Do you have a book, podcast or other resource that has inspired you lately?
I assume inspired me in relation to work? I listen to surprisingly few podcasts that have anything directly to do with development. I almost need podcast time to be more abstract from development
What’s one thing about you that surprises people?
I have no idea. I’m a walking cliche
If you had to choose only 3 adjectives to describe yourself, which would you choose?
Hardworking, determined, (a little too) headstrong
What is your favorite part about being part of the DuBose Web team?
Getting to do what I love: write great software